About TRA | Vision, Mission & Values
The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was established according to the UAE Federal Law by Decree No. 3 of 2003 – Telecom Law, on regulating the telecommunications sector in the UAE. Since its establishment, the TRA has exceeded expectations by achieving its projected goals in record time.
The role of TRA focuses on two fields: regulating the telecommunications sector, and enabling government entities in the field of smart transformation.
Regulating the telecommunications sector in the UAE.
This vital role is derived from the UAE Telecommunication law and its Executive Regulation. The objectives of the TRA in this context include: ensuring adequate provision of telecommunications services throughout the UAE; developing services in terms of quality and variety; ensuring quality of services by adherence to terms of licenses by licensees; encouraging ICT services in the UAE; promoting and enhancing the ICT sector within the UAE through training and development and the establishment of training institutions related to the sector; resolving disputes between the licensed operators; establishing and implementing a regulatory and policy framework; promoting new technologies; developing the country´s human capital; encouraging research and development to ensure that the UAE has a leading regional position the ICT sector.
Enabling government entities in the field of smart transformation
Law No. 3 of 2011 referred the task of the federal e-government to the TRA. In May 2013, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, UAE Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai launched the mGovernment Initiative. The Supreme Committee was formed later, and it referred the implementation of the initiative to the TRA, funded by the ICT Fund.
Since then, the TRA's enabling role has been enhanced as it became responsible for the overall digital infrastructure in the country. This was embodied through the Federal Electronic Network (FedNet) and its connection with local networks in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. This role is also demonstrated in other projects such as managing the official portal of the UAE government, the establishment and development of the Government Service Bus (GSB), the Smart Pass, the monitoring and measurement of the mGovernment enablers and others.
The TRA was entrusted with several responsibilities related to ICT Sector within the UAE and abroad. The TRA is responsible for representing the country in many international forums, as it was elected to the ITU Council of the United Nations for the years 2006-2010, as well as being a member of the Telecommunications Regulatory Authorities of the Arab Network (AREGNET), a member of the Arab Spectrum Management Group, and the GCC Technical Committee. Among the objectives that the TRA seeks to achieve when implementing its competencies according to the provisions of the law is to achieve the following:
- Ensure the provision of telecommunications services throughout the country to meet the needs of those who wish to make use of such services
- Develop the level of service provided by the telecommunications sector in order to achieve the interests of subscribers
- Ensure that licensees adhere to quality standards of performance and to the terms and conditions stipulated in the licenses granted to them
- Encourage, promote, and develop the ICT industry in the country
- Develop and modernize the telecommunications system in the country through training, enabling and establishing related educational institutions, and obtaining the latest ICT devices, equipment, and facilities
- Develop and ensure the implementation of the mGovernment initiatives’ programs, and enhancing the use of ICT in government entities.
- Develop related policies and standards, and follow-up on government entities commitment to these standards
- Prepare an attractive electronic governmental environment in the country
- Formulate and implement a national mGovernment plan
- Achieve the objectives of the mGovernment Services Index, one of the national agenda indicators emanating from the UAE Vision 2021
- Assist government entities to develop their smart transformation programs
- Enhance e-presence of the government in the UAE through the official portals
- Promote e-participation in coordination with relevant government entities