The ICT Fund provides grants to research and development projects which it believes have an added value to ICT industry. Research projects seeking funding can come from universities, research institutions or commercial organizations that have majority UAE ownership. The ICT Fund extends funds based on merit, notwithstanding any prior approvals, or the current level of funding recipients. Each project has its own parameters based on the scope of the project, and the funding is decided according to the proposal. Proposed projects must be from local entities and organization.
It is innovation that ultimately will make the UAE a leader in the global ICT industry. The ICT Fund provides financial support to research projects which have the potential to generate ICT industry-related patents and research papers. Research projects seeking funding can come from universities, research institutions or commercial organizations that have majority UAE ownership.
Criteria for R&D projects
- Must be a legal entity (university, research institute or company)
- Must have at least 25% UAE nationals on the research team
- Maximum duration of funding is 2 years for applied research and 3 years for basic research
- For basic research, maximum share of funding is limited to 75% of budgeted expenses
- For applied research, maximum share of funding is limited to 75% of budgeted expenses for academic and research institutions and 50% of budgeted expenses for companies.
- Funding will be provided to both basic and applied R&D projects within the ICT area of focus
- Applicants will be evaluated on the degree to which their proposal is likely to directly benefit the UAE ICT sector
- Key factors for consideration are UAE representation and linkage, applicant qualifications and committed third party support
- Technical proposals will be evaluated on completeness and output feasibility. For applied research, commercialisation feasibility will also be considered
- Commercial proposals will be evaluated on completeness and correctness, as well as alignment with technical proposal.