Ankabut, the UAE’s National Research and Education Network (NREN), was launched in 2006. Ankabut offers academic institutions connectivity to other education networks around the world. In addition to connecting universities, it can connect schools and public institutions together across the UAE with an effective cost model. Ankabut also co-operates on a national, GCC, regional and international arena representing the UAE in conferences, exhibitions and forums. The network aims to offer QoS based networks with IPv4/IPv6, multicast and introduce advanced services on a “Closed Group Network” with “Public Interest Purposes.” In addition Ankabut offers the following benefits:
- Facilitating effective collaboration between students and professors, and openness to global research communitiesInnovation – the development of projects in the UAE that offer new products and services
- Economic Benefits – Ankabut is an economically feasible project.
- Effective Research – offering academic institutions connectivity to other education networks around the world.
- Interactive Learning – providing an innovative way to access knowledge resources.
Objectives of Ankabut are as follows:
- Connecting academia to advance IP networking
- Establish a forum to discuss collaboration
- Encourage collaborative research within the UAE
- Provide a mechanism to share lectures
- Encourage inter-library access
- Increase collaboration with international universities
- Connect international institutions to home networks
Investment Type: National ICT Project
Investment Size: 61M AED
Investment Date: 2008 – 2013